Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Boating Home a Christmas Tree, Revisited: Tradition or Folly?

Boating homeward down the Grand Canal with tree

There's a flu going around town and I seem to have gotten it, so, as I'm not getting out much at present, I'll take this opportunity to link below to a seasonal blog piece about Christmas tree shopping in Venice from three years back--to which there is still no definitive answer to the question posed in its title (though I did catch sight of a live Christmas tree being transported in a small family boat a couple of weeks ago). As we now live in the center of Venice we simply wheeled our potted tree home on our son's trolley this year. Which was more convenient, but not quite as fun as the boat ride described below:

http://veneziablog.blogspot.it/2014/12/boating-home-christmas-tree-tradition.html


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking to your 2014 article. I have sent it on to many of my friends in the US. So many people here get so wound up during the Christmas season with all the pressures and shopping and parties to attend. Your article was particularly pleasing to read because it reminded me of what a simple and wonderful holiday Christmas can be both as a child and as a parent, and how hard it is to develop a life where you don't have to be too concerned about that others think about you. This latter concern is rather difficult to teach to your children but you covered it pretty well. That photo of your son's concentration at the tiller is priceless.
    I really enjoy your blog and follow you but don't often comment. I think that is your reward for taking the time to express your thoughts and post them. Thank you and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A belated thank you, Richard, for your very kind comment and I hope you had a happy holiday season and end of 2017--and that 2018 is off to a good start for you. Perhaps we can't help but concern ourselves with what others think of us--in spite of a friend's grandmother's refrain of "What business is it of mine what other people think of me?"--but it's always nice to be engaged in something in which such concerns fade.

      Delete