Monday, February 1, 2016

A Soldier in a Silent Invasion, This Evening


In my five years of living here, and five years of Carnevale,  I've rarely taken images of the many mysterious silent masked figures who migrate to Venice at this time of year. They're the favorite subjects of the scores of photographers who also roost here at this time of year, many of them professionals, so I saw no reason to simply repeat what so many other folks were doing. And generally I find the human face more interesting than a mask when it comes to taking pictures.

But I turned the corner this evening and there was this character, cleverly alight, and there were the columns and San Giorgio di Maggiore and it was almost as though I was actually looking at one of these figures for the first time. How odd it must be to spend all day being looked at by so many people but never actually seen, to be blatantly on display while being completely concealed. In a city that offers unlimited opportunities for people-watching, how particular must be the experience when it is done from behind one of these masks, within one of these costumes--an object of the public gaze who, paradoxically, is more seeing than seen.  

6 comments:

  1. Look out for us this w/e Steven. We also have lights. Venice at night is our theme and we have stars!(and black wings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Andrew, you've given me a good reason to go to the Piazza this weekend--in the evening, hopefully after the worst crowds have diminished. Maybe I can also find out a bit from you about the experience of viewing that whole scene from behind the mask in full costume.

      Delete
    2. It is a strange feeling to be behind the mask. One seems apart from the world. People talk about you as if you aren't there. And visibility is limited. We'll be there on Friday from 11.00am and will try to be there at 5ish on Saturday. A couple of hours is all we can take!

      Delete
    3. I hope to see you, Andrew at one of those times. And will be curious about any other aspects of the experience you might want to relate. The other day it finally occurred to me that it might be rather taxing to stand in the cold for an extended period of time as some of the masked folks seem to do.

      You aren't among those costumed people who I read someplace are out on the Piazzetta just about sun-up when there are no crowds in sight, the light is nice, and the most serious photogs are out to snap? (I can assure you that I am not!)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful shot! And I love your comment! Because behind the mask is me....pitagorascostumes !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, that really is you in the costume? You must have gotten cold sometimes standing out there, and rather tired. So, you were visiting the city and rented the costume from Pitagoras Costumes?

      Delete