Thursday, July 30, 2015

San Giorgio Maggiore, Its Ornamental Pavement, and the City (A Panoramic View)


I'm afraid this blog has recently turned into an exclusively photo blog, as various commitments have left me with no lack of relevant topics to write about, but no time for the actual writing. I haven't even been able to keep up with comments people have been kind enough to take the time to post. I hope to soon get back to writing, but I hope for now that the images themselves might suggest narratives of their own, as so many scenes of Venice inevitably seem to do. 

7 comments:

  1. As much as I enjoy what you have to say your photos are fine with me. They are always stunning and can take me to my beloved Venezia at a moment's notice.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michelle and Helen. It's hard for words to compete with the visuals of of Venice, anyway!

      Delete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with Michelle! Whenever I see your post in my list of emails, I get excited to be transported again! (although I do always cherish the snippets of info you give us, when you do have the time!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. The color of the sky and other elements made me think of a painting, too, one that I'd just seen that same afternoon--or a full-scale reproduction of one--by Veronese, that I just posted about in the newest post.

      Delete
  4. Yes, it looks like pure Brunelleschi: playing with the lines of the building, the pattern of the paving stones and the perspective of the view to San Marco.

    Anyway I'm looking forward to more of your comments on life in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Rosalind. Did Brunelleschi use a camera obscura? A wide angle lens probably emphasizes the depth of perspective that Brunelleschi was concerned with.

      Delete